Sunday, February 10, 2008

in response to Will:

Will commented on my last post by saying: 

"I think in many ways Ruth had it easy. She was never questioned by her family and was lucky enough to have people around her that supported her. She never had to hide herself from anyone and was able to just live."

You know, I completely agree.  I don't think she had life easy in the sense that she was able to freely proclaim that she was a lesbian at the top of her lungs.  Nor do I think the fact that she had to host the "gay" parties just so that there would be some sort of safe haven for gay youth was easy.  But I do think that she had a remarkably open family that let her live in a "no questions" asked atmosphere.

I mentioned in class that I felt a pulled the stories that Tommy Avicolli wrote about verbal and physical torment that he experienced growing up as a gay man.  I felt pulled to them, because like Ruth, I have never personally had anything like that happen to me.  I have been extremely lucky to have grown up geographically in a liberal and accepting section of America where such rarities as gay marriage are legally practiced.  I have never had to hide my sexual orientation, nor have I had to defend myself because of it.  

I have been very lucky.

Just an overall fyi: I only update this once a week, so I am sorry if people comment or ask questions and then it seems like I ma ignoring you...I'm not, I promise!  I will be officially updating tomorrow on a bunch of new stuff that I read, so check back :)

1 comment:

Will said...

DJ.
Thanks for the props. I'm gonna plug my blog here so maybe it can get a reader or two!

willstraightup.blogspot.com